First Presbyterian Church March 18th 10:00AM-3:00PM
First Presbyterian Church
is a historic church in Palestine that was organized in 1849, a year after Palestine was founded. The Gothic Revival church building is the oldest church in Palestine continuously serving a congregation.
On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for the sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The builder made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890.
The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
410 Avenue A, Palestine, TX (903) 729-5730